It is often said that love has no language, but it sure can be expressed with words, emotions, chocolates, flowers and promising jewelry such as rings. Rings have been in existence for thousands of years now. The circular band around one’s finger can be a symbol of an eternal love. Rings can be made of gold, platinum, silver and gemstones.
Mexico is famous for its unique and artistic sterling silver jewelry and some of the exquisite products are 925 sterling silver rings, silver earrings and necklaces. Rings go way back in the history with different significance in various cultures.
During the excavations of Hittite civilization from ancient east, rings along with signet rings were discovered. Many rings designs from ancient Egypt have also been found, most popular being the scarab design. It is believed that rings were used as New Year exchange gifts and also as parting gifts to the dead. The rings and other ornaments were buried with the dead, and were believed to be used by the dead in the afterlife. Then over the period of time there were different ring designs from Roman and Greek fashion. While these cultures observed rings as something pure and eternal, around 18th century, an English writer, Samuel Johnson described ring as a circular object put on women’s finger and hogs noses to subject and restrain them.
It was also believed that rings reserved good and bad spirits. Till today there are rings with different gemstones that are believed to have protective and curative power. The stones are placed in the bands made from gold, silver and bronze. There are various other kinds of rings that signify different occasions. Let us take a quick look at different rings and their significance.
- Birthstone rings: This ring is set with the owner’s birthstone in is made out of gold, silver or bronze. It is usually simple in design.
- Sports rings: Usually such rings are presented to the members of the winning team as a mark of victory. World Series ring and Super Bowl ring are the most famous ones in this category.
- Cocktail rings: It is usually a ladies ring with a huge stone set in the center with smaller stones surrounding the larger one. It is also known as dinner ring.
- Engagement rings: It is worn by a woman and symbolizes that she is engaged to be married.
- Eternity rings: This ring signifies eternal love for the partner. It is usually a band with small stones set around the band.
- Five Metal rings: It is made up of five metals lead, gold, copper, silver and tin. It was considered as a source of good luck by the Talmud.
- Friendship ring: It can be exchanged as a symbol of friendship both platonic and romantic.
- Mother’s ring: Such rings are worn by the mother with birthstones of her children as well as her husband and her own.
- Mourning ring: This ring is worn to honor someone’s death during funerals.
- Wedding rings: These rings are exchanged between the partners as a symbol of their undying love for each other on the wedding day. With so many options and occasions to wear the pretty and wonderful rings, who wouldn’t want to buy one. Mexico is famous for 925 sterling silver jewelry. You can find all sorts exquisite and unique silver rings online that are available at discounted price. Online you can avail all the offers that are worth every single penny.
By Geseell Grant - mexicosterlingsilver